Saturday, June 13, 2015

Okay, I'm Back!

It's that time of year, where I'm working like a dog. We've got GUN STORIES WITH JOE MANTEGNA wrapped, and SHOOTING GALLERY just spinning up. As soon as I get back from whacking God's creatures in NZ, it's time to start THE BEST DEFENSE. As soon as I get a grip on TBD, SHOOTOUT LANE starts filming. In between all those, Marshal and I are finishing up AMERICA'S RIFLE. But other than that…

I spent some quality time with my Ruger Gunsite Scout .308 today. My original plan was to set it up with a Burris 3-9x 50mm for NZ red stag. Unfortunately, my Scout has an XS rail on it, and I just couldn't mount a 50mm scope without extra extra high scope rings, which is a problem on the cheek weld…in fact, a decent cheek weld is DARN HARD on high high scope rings! Like using an AR scope mount on a bolt action rifle. So I fell back on my Swaro 3-9x 36mm and an FTW cheek rest. I sighted it in today with Hornady 150-gr Superformance GMX...my Scout has always liked Superformance stuff, and I have a lot of faith in the GMX bullet.

My plan is to use the Scout on this hunt in NZ. I was originally going to use a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70, but for reasons known only to God and the NZ government, the No. 1 didn't clear. The Scout, which I'd included as a back-up rifle, blew through the permitting process. Well, cool. It makes a good story for SG, since I've been reading on the Internet that the Scout rifle was a "gimmick." Okey-dokey…so you say. Although in fact, I did go with a more traditionally mounted scope. BTW, I will be carrying a Burris 2-7X Scout scope in QD rings as a back-up scope.

I was initially pissed off because I couldn't figure out where the bullets were hitting at 50 yards, It turned out they were all hitting in the same hole. I sighted for 1.25 inches high at 50, based on Hornady ballistic charts for the round, less the loss of velocity from the short barrel. Should give me more or less a 200-yard zero. Next week I'll stretch it out a bit and see how it syncs with the Real World.

As an aside, the Timney trigger is excellent (Jon at Cylinder & Slide did the work), and the Miculek .308 comp pretty much eliminates the recoil and muzzle rise, as Jerry promised me. I'm having some problem with the polymer Ruger 3-round magazines, but the 5 rounders work perfect (NZ has a 7 round mag capacity limit, so my 10 round AI mags, which are bullet-proof, are verboten).

I spent all last week with Joyce and Bill Wilson at the WC Ranch in Texas. As you guys know, I'm writing Bill's book, as I did that first book on THE COMBAT .45 AUTO back in the back-when. Bill and I have been friends for a lot of years, and it was wonderful catching up with both of them. Of course, Bill and I shot a lot of rounds…duh! Joyce and I talked a lot about IDPA and how things are going, and Bill and I talked guns, guns, guns. the Wilsons have a wonderful afternoon regimen, hopping in an ATV and touring their 14,000 acres as the sun goes down. Damn, that was nice!

I'll be talking about some of Bill's insights on next week's podcast. He is one of the most savvy gun people in the business. And he builds a hell of a 1911, or Beretta 92, or AR!

You might want to take a gander at this thread on THE FIREARMS BLOG on lever guns. Are any of you surprised I came down on the side of Sheriff Jim Wilson and Grant Cunningham? I suspect not. There's a certain humor in a nerd boy talking math against a hunter talking what happens when you really pull the trigger.


Plus, if you're looking for a little humor, read this: "Let's Talk About Abolishing Gun Ownership:"
But even if you actually thought it might be good idea to stock up weapons to overthrow your government, you have no reason to think your government should allow you to do that. Moreover, we must remember that many people we do not like and with whom we have fundamental moral and political disagreements might also dream of resisting the government through armed conflict.
LOL! I suspect Mr. Cody Fenwick never read Mice In Council

If you'd like to read something by someone with an IQ better than lukewarm water, how about NR's Jonah Goldberg's weekly blog? This week: "America's Progressive Autoimmune Crisis Continues Apace."
The progressive vision sees all of mankind as clay to be molded, sheep to be herded, a third-grade diorama to be diorama’d. There are no safe harbors from politics because the personal is political.

The problem with saying “the personal is political” is twofold: You politicize what is personal (“Everyone must celebrate my lifestyle!”) and you personalize the political (“Your opposition to the minimum wage hurts my feelings!”).

This is how you un-think yourself out of a civilization; When politics becomes a fashion choice and fashion becomes political. If you wear your politics on your sleeve, it usually means you don’t keep them in your brain where they belong.

4 comments:

Sheepdog1968 said...

Michael, I never tire of my lever action rifle. I have several. My favorite is my 30-30 Marlin with a scout scope and XS ghost ring sights. It's been to several firearms classes and I can hold my own with it out to 400 yards. I practice a lot with it because it is just plain fun.

Anonymous said...

The ammo search engines are a great way to judge the availability of cartridges. Do a search with ammoseek.com on lever gun rounds. 30-30, 270, 30-06, 45-70 and you get hundreds of shops with inventory. Try the same on all the "modern" rounds, 6.8 spc, 6.5 Grendel, 458 socom. Lucky if you can find a dozen places in the ENTIRE NATION stocking them. If the round was born a hundred years ago, you are going to have fun. It will have proven itself in the woods, in war and on the target ranges. Combine this with the venerable lever gun. Again, a hundred year plus design. How much better can it get. Perfect harmony. Feng Shui requires every household to have a lever in the closet. Bet you didn't know that !

Michael Bane said...

Anon…well put! I have enough 45-70 to either recreate the Battle of Little Big Horn or whack the entire local pack of velociraptors. I have 3, count em, .44 Magnum lever guns…a Marlin from before Marlin fell off the world, a Rossi that Steve Young at Steve's Gunz in Texas turned into a masterpiece and a Winchester 94 Trapper, which has been a workhorse gun for more than a decade and a LOT of .44 Magnum ammo.

But even though I am fascinated by the .458 SOCOM I've spent months assembling 300 rounds of brass and enough bullets to load a batch.

mb

Anonymous said...

Love my Gunsite Scout, mounted up with the Leatherwood scout scope. I would have liked to have mounted the Leupold on it, but even though marketed as a Scout scope, the eye relief on that one isn't really Scout-compatible, at least for my eyeballs. The Leatherwood was nicely reviewed in Shotgun News a few years back, and was plenty good enough for me to drill a couple of pigs in Texas last year.