Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Radar Wednesday


I spent the morning assembling my LabRadar ballistic radar thingie and doing all the initial data input…it was actually pretty easy. Tomorrow I'm going to run a bunch of .308 tests out of the Scout so can tinker together a decent DOPE chart for the Hornady 150 GMXs out of the 16-inch barrel.

You know, I remember a time not so long ago when I would have said, hey, sight it in at 200 yards and call it good. All these long-range classes are, I think, having a bad effect on me.

I'm also working on building shooting platform "A" here at the Bunker, with "B" and "C" on schedule this summer. "D" is still an argument frappant between my Sweetie and I…really, who wouldn't want a short shooting tower on their property? Okay, maybe 10 feet high…sort of like a heavily armed tree house…wait…wait…don't answer that.

Amazingly enough, I signed up for a USPSA membership today…I think it's my third. The first number, if I recall, was like 770-something; the second was in the 13000s…of course, I could be just making this up. Anyway, my Sweetie wants to shoot USPSA since this summer's 3-Gun season has fallen prey to mud, mud, mud and rain, so I thought I'd suck it up and reenlist. I hope to be shooting the Sig P320 pretty soon, but in the meanwhile it's the G34.


Read this article in WIRED on the Defense Distributed "Ghost Gunner" CNC mill. I've reached out to Cody Wilson at DD about demo'ing a Ghost Gunner on SHOOTING GALLERY. Cody thinks it's do-able, and if we can work it out you'll see me milling my own AR receiver on television. I'll take it slow, step by step, so you'll know how to make your own. At least, that's the plan.



7 comments:

nj larry said...

While I do enjoy seeing how technically sophisticated the gun world can get, a part of my mind harkens back to those fuzzy photos of an older Col Whelen shooting off sand bags on a wooden bench. Ever notice how photos back when, had the men wearing ties and dress shirts while shooting? I would trade today in a heartbeat for those days.

Michael Bane said...

You should meet my friend Paul Erhardt, who typically shoots matches in a shirt and tie…

mb

bgary said...

I think they can restore your original USPSA number, if you want it back. Might be really cool to have a 3-digit number again. Let me know...

Michael Bane said...

Bruce...would love to have the original one back! Would love to have the years back, too, but that's probably out of the question...

Thank you...

mb

Sheepdog1968 said...

Looks like a high tech dremel tool that is computerized. Cool. I though Micahel you are banned from using dremel tools though.

SiGraybeard said...

The radar looks super cool, but they didn't address two things: how narrow is the beam, and how much does it cost. The narrow beam is harder to aim, but the only way other shooters won't interfere with you. Their pictures imply it's a pretty wide beam, which means other folks will probably be interfering with your data, which may make using it painful.

(Sorry - I design radars for a living. Sometimes you can't just turn it off)

Overload in Colorado said...

We've been able to CNC a AR-Lower for years. Heck, I have an old NC mill in the basement, and it'll do it if I can figure out the software. What DD is going for is using a 3D printer to print a gun (the Liberator) or a specialized CNC machine with the Ghost Gunner. The only advantage of the GG is the lower price due to the specialized task.

My favorite AR lower design I've seen is one able to be made on a drill press, as it's separate pieces that bolt together. NOT pretty, and rather bulky, but it works.

http://www.guns.com/2013/12/06/bolt-together-ar-15-lower-receiver-3d-printer-necessary/